Monday 1 December 2014

Individual magazine advert - Miss Miller

We each created an individual magazine advert because it will make it easier for us as a group to evaluate and reconstruct a better quality magazine advert with a contribution of all our ideas combined. Each of us have different and creative ideas as to how our advert should look however having actually carried out producing the advert we can see which elements from look the most effective and are best to use, we can also identify any improvements we can make.

Within my magazine advert for the font I have used colours that match the ones used within the image, I decided to apply this because I believe they are bold enough colours to stand out and be seen however they also blend in enough so that they do not steal any focus from the image itself. The green used represents the down to earth, relatable personality of our artist and the white is used to symbolise her purity and innocence, therefore the audience can connect with our artist knowing that she is an ordinary person like themselves. The font of the artists name is written in very quirky and authentic writing to match her identity, I chose this font to also create her a recognisable trademark that people will associate with her image. The font used for the album name is slightly more simple as I decided to reflect it so that it would match the message of the name, 'A True Reflection'.

 I chose this image because it makes our artist look very relatable, she is in a very common setting wearing very conventional clothing for the soul genre for example the big bold hat, which conveys a trendy traditional image. Her body language is also very relaxed yet composed although as she is looking away from the camera and down towards the ground it represents her as gloomy and upset, which is conventional to the soul genre. The name of the album is placed at the top of the advert to allow the audience to be aware of what they have to remember in order to purchase the product, as the artist may have many other albums which they could possibly become confused with. The name of the song featured on the album is directly above the name of the artist so that they can recollect the song through association with the artists identity. 

Throughout using photoshop I did struggle with specific tasks such as reflecting the album name and changing shadowing of the font however having investigated certain areas of editing I came across many other techniques which I found useful to me. For example from trying to change the shadowing of the artist name, I discovered how to change the thickness of the lettering and therefore managed to make the font stand out more which in result attracted the audiences attention more effectively. My strength within using photoshop would have to be editing the image in terms of brightness, contrast and highlighting as I believe my image has improved from the original because it has much more attractiveness and life to it, which will grab the audiences attention for a lot longer.  

I believe this advert is appealing to my target audience as the image of the artist used portrays her as hurt and innocent, which means the audience would want to listen to the music to find out why. The colours used also grab their attention and they are bright and emphasise the setting of the image, which  represents my artist as trendy and urban, this is the same style and image in which the target audiences have. I believe the image within my advert is conventional to the soul genre as it represents my artist as sad and hurt which is the message throughout all of her songs and stereotypically all soul material, she is represented as this through her body language and the inability to see her facial expressions. However I do believe the colours used within my advert do subvert from the conventional colours used within the soul genre as typically they are dull and dark to represent the emotions of the artist. I believe my advert appeals to my target audience as I have created a trademarked font which will allow them to be recognised by her and she looks very approachable and relatable which will allow them to connect with her. Having created my own individual magazine advert I do feel much more confident that my group will produce an advert that will be most effective and successful as through combining ideas each element within the advert will be creative and conventional. 

2 comments:

  1. You have provided a basic analysis of your individual advert, summing up some of the elements used within your advert.

    You need to:
    1) Fully explain all elements used within your advert, mentioning what they connote and why specifically you have used them to create what impact on your audience
    2) Make sure you state specifically what tools you struggled to use (photoshop) and why, and what tools you ended up using and why
    3) Fully explain why this advert will appeal to your TA and why
    4) Make sure you explain how elements used are conventional or not of the genre
    5) Elaborate on all points made

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have explained how this advert appeals to you TA but have still not identified what specific tools were used on Photoshop or elaborated enough on what each element connotes.

    ReplyDelete